Recently, I had a group of new NLP Master Practitioner enrolees who had basically forgotten almost all their NLP terminology after 3 years. It was a painful process of trying to put the lessons back together again, because we were literally doing the Practitioner content over.
Do remember that the responsibility of learning rests on the learner, particularly since you are all adults — when you are experiencing a gap between a practitioner course and a master practitioner course, you have to make a deliberate effort to apply the NLP strategies and techniques to your everyday life. If not, it will be pretty much a waste of your money and time.
Remember – resitting the NLP Practitioner course is often a necessity, but that means (at least for me) a 50% resit fee.
So, this post is meant to help you save yourself from such a pain.
- Set goals for yourself. The moment you have goals, you have to galvanize resourceful states. When you do this, you will have the opportunity to apply NLP everywhere you go. Remembering that failure is feedback, you can always apply the NLP techniques alongside the belief system.
- Meditate. I coined a term called neuro-linguistic meditation. This is basically a process of applying mindful meditation and enhancing it with NLP. Every day, if you start to build somatic awareness. you will learn to calibrate to yourself and your own emotions and experiences. Of course, it helps that you are put into a fundamental state of positive states through meditation, and thereby train your brain to be more effective.
- Hold coaching conversations. Most NLP practitioners are not coaches, but you can most certainly accelerate your pathway to become a Licensed NLP Coach through my Certified Motivational Coach programme (there is no pre-requisite to attend, but to be certified as an NLP coach, you have to be a Master Practitioner). This way, you can practice the most fundamental conversations in NLP, which is to help empower people through your language, while practicing reframing too!
- Keep reading NLP! NLP does advance as time goes by. Nowadays, there are applications of NLP in almost every other field such as medicine, negotiation, sales, motivation, self-help, spiritual development and the like. Oh, and remember to get a copy of Richard Bandler’s new generation of books.
- Develop an attitude of curiosity… with other NLP Practitioners. Social learning rocks! Well, if you haven’t done so, you should join your fellow graduates in the Facebook group (ping me on Facebook to get access). When events are organized, jump in and commit to learn by experience. Don’t just give in to the inconvenience – heck, by organizing this, it can be an inconvenience when people simply raise their hands but do not show up. If you don’t commit to learning, nobody will! And remember – I’m not obliged to organize free revision sessions. I’m just doing this because I know you need some space to practice, and you should come prepared to practice, not to come for a revision lesson.